11.4.05

Confessions of a Tottenham fan.

Since I upped sticks and settled on the far side of the sea, I have developed from someone who took only a passing interest in my team, a casual supporter, to a bit of an obsessive. Well maybe not that bad, but now I CARE.
Tottenham has become a significant part of my life here in Hong Kong. The fortunes of the club have become syncronised with my emotions to sutch an extent that my students might be forgiven for thinking I have a split personality:
When we win I am a very friendly teacher, willing to go the extra mile for even the most frustrating child. I'm inclusive, patient and put on all singing all dancing lessons that the students love, rich multi-media lessons, insightful and fun. Their faces manifest the deep joy I myself feel as Spurs crush hapless opposition and claim three points or a spot in the FA cup semi final.
But when we lose. . .as if tapping into some latent animal instinct warning them of danger, children scatter like dead leaves as I approach. Lightning is in my eyes, I spit fire and my voice is a thunder that shakes the school as I operate under a zero tolerance approach that Mayor Juliani would be proud of.

'Hey neil, that's not really fair is it?' I hear you ask. Well you're right, I couldn't agree more, it's very unfair. Tottenham should never ever lose.

Tonight we play Newcastle (dis)United. No fisty-cuffs please gentlemen.

1 Comments:

Blogger dezy said...

Strangely I've never gotten too emotional over watching my football club lose - unless it's really late at night. Like the time I drove over to my friend's house at 3.30 in the MORNING and watched the Arse clinch the title at Old Trafford (that evening called the Theatre of Nightmares).

It's interesting to note that this change in you has only occured once you got to HK. Sometimes it can be difficult being a supporter in England because you don't go to the games regularly (price, distance, availability) or can't answer the top 10 most obscure questions about your club. Maybe that's why they are called fans (short for fantatics)?

Of course, this change could purely be due to the fact that your very nice school is willing to pay for that expensive satellite link up to the English Premier League...!

The question is: does it inspire you to show a Jer-main man Defoe performance on the football pitches of Hong Kong?!?

And there were some horrific mistakes made by the defences in that Spurs vs Magpies game!

8:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home