5.6.05

Frank Arnesen, latest in a growing list.

Chelsea are after 50% of Tottenham's dream team. Our Danish Director of Football, famous for spotting new talent and (up to now) respected the world over has been 'tapped up' and it looks like he wants to go, not surprisingly.
With the Malcolm Glazer affair, Cole-gate, Abramovic's rise with claims that Chelsea have 'bought' their title, and now this. Add this to a season with some on the pitch 'incidents' and I must admit to feeling a bit jaded about the game in general.

The team I love has made big progress nevertheless: Out of a league of 20 teams. . .

Only Arsenal scored more goals at home.
Only Chelsea and ...one other team, have shipped fewer goals away.

If we hadn't had our 6 game losing streak when Santini left we'd have got into europe via the league with points to spare, and finished above Liverpool who, as we know, are the greatest team in the universe. (sorry Henry, ho ho ;-)

(we're half way there!)

I'm not going to say we're the best team in the world yet. But if we can get away from the lies and greed for money in the papers then such a young talented british team are bound to achieve something very soon.

Chelsea's money is starting to overbalance the topflight game in this country. Add that to an apparent lack of morals in the Stamford Bridge management team. What about the future?

6 Comments:

Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Its a good question, and as I only became a serious follower of the game since I moved out here to HK, I've kind of gone into it with my eyes open, noticing things about my behaviour and feelings as I go.

I think using the pronoun 'we' just shows the depth of identification a supporter has with the club. We feel part of it. In a real sense I suppose we are. I pay a subscription to the website and am a member of the supporters trust, without support a club cannot exist, so its almost logical to say 'we'. Still, I recon its mainly an emotional statement of identification, people do it without thinking.

Good question, your brain looks like its working well to me Mel. Thanks!

10:36 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Do you support Liverpool? HeHe. You know I had quite an argument with a good friend of mine about whether or not they are the best tem in England, Europe or the world. It got a bit serious :(

Your question is 2nd even greater. . . .let me think, try to give you a good quality answer.. .thinking. . .

9:28 am  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Well mel,
For a start, this usage of 'us' is idiomatic and subconscious. Its just become part of common usage, people do it without thinking but it still meaningful, Maybe something like. . .
. . .using a collective pronoun means you don't feel as guilty for asking for something, and maybe you can get more sympathy. this use of 'us' is usually associated with requests and attempts to illicit sympathy. "give us a hand" etc.
Think about Gollum in Lord of the Rings. Its about spreading responsibility and getting sympathy.

Are you in the UK? A malaysian in the UK? I better have a look at Mein Kampf again.

I have a few ManU supporting friends who's football opinions I deeply respect. I know you're not all "Glory seeking, plastic supporters" Hope everything goes well with the Glazer boys.

6:28 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

I see. .my time in HK corresponds nicely to your time in the UK. Wonder how/if we're being changed.
I have family in Brighton, my dad's side, living on the south coast, and in Sheffield, my mother's side.
Don't think I'll be back this year! You must be coming to the end of a degree? or part way through post grad studies? I know a few of the local Chinese youth there, are you involved with the Chinese church in Bristol? Any more stimulating questions?

11:10 pm  
Blogger dezy said...

And there I was, expecting to read a load of comments on how Chelsea's financial situation is destabilising the state of English football and I find myself in the middle of chinwag...

(yeah, there's another one for you to explain Mr. Thomas!)

1:51 am  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

I thnk you should make the trip outside England, staying in the UK though and visit Edinburgh and Glasgoq and hop over the Irish sea to Dublin, visit Cardiff too. Peak district is nice. London is so big, there are places and shows to keep you entertained forever. Then there's Brighton. The lanes and the Pavilion are quite special in Brighton.
Alton Towers, is fun enough, there're a few rides worth seeing, but I haven't been for over ten years! It might be over run with teenagers and kids though. Worth a day if you aren't a million miles away.

10:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home