8.6.06

Death is common. But grief, coming as it does from the loss of a relationship, can be very particular.

Like Henry and like Esther, I had a very special Granny. Aline Rosa Thomas died two days ago aged 98, and she will be deeply missed. She was the best of the Thomas's. Unconditionally kind and more loving than anyone else I knew. My sister and I lived with her as young kids, and then again as teenagers.

She came from a different era, marrying an army officer and having children more than 60 years ago in East Africa. She was the daughter of a village clergyman and was for many years the only Christian Thomas. Now that honour might be mine, if it is, I hope it doesnt last.

Goodnight Dear Granny. X

I'll go back for the funeral, then be back out here in the space of four days.

9 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

Hey Neil, so sorry to hear about the news... I remembered meeting your grandma once in Sheffield and she was indeed a nice lady. Will be praying for you. Have a safe trip back to England (reminds me of our trip back to Sheffield for Esther's grandma's funeral 4 years ago)

10:17 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

I remember that too. She was another special granny.

7:32 am  
Blogger cheryl said...

i'm sorry to hear that. i remember you said you were longing to see her in this coming visit... i hope she'll rest in peace. take care :)

9:20 am  
Blogger Yan said...

I'll be praying for you and your family too. Have a good journey and see you soon.

Yan xx

3:53 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Thanks Cheryl, appreciate your message.
And thanks Ka Yan. Hope we can catch up soon.
I'm glad to be able to dash back and be there for the funeral.

3:59 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

take care Neil. words say very little in times like these. but praise God she's in Heaven with Him.

7:59 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Thanks Mommaduck (mrs. Lee, right?!!) You're too generous I think. My dad has shockingly asked me to give the Eulogy, so I'm struggling with that right now. Speaking about my granny infront of her relatives, some of whom I only see at funerals.

Thanks Henry. When are you going to make a new grandmother? See you this summer maybe.

9:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, i'm real sorry to hear about your gran. pretty sure she'd be proud of you tho... wonder if you're already back in hong kong now... take care, n i'll pray that God speaks to you and your family through it all.

7:52 am  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Hey Nora,
I haven't gone to England yet. I'll be there on monday, leave on wednesday.
I'll have a much longer trip in July-august.

Thanks for praying.

1:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home