30.9.06

Wont flatter myself by appologising to a 'readership', just a quick 'pardonnez moi' to the friends and family who have dropped by this page only to be disappointed over the last few months. Busy lah.

I had a quick UK visit over summer and it is starting to become a bit routine already. I still enjoy the feeling of 'culture bump' though. The P's and Q's don't come naturally to me now and I found myself offending bus drivers, shop assistants and anyone who expected me to hold a door open. What fun! British people are great 'tutters'

It was interesting to see how people had grown in the two years since I was there. My sister's kids especially.

I cant figure out how to add a picture its been so long. . .

write more once I've figured it out. . .

6 Comments:

Blogger dezy said...

Hey Neil, it's a sign. The day you write in your blog, Spurs win (well they are 2 nil up at the moment and should be shot if they lose the game). So obviously you should write on the day of the games!

11:48 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

I think Mrs. Lee is spot on.. .

is there an honestly about the natural 'every man for himself' streets of HK and BJ that is better than the fakeness and silent resentment of British street life. . . (maybe)

Here, when the underground/subway train/MTR doors open and parents send their children in ahead to throw themselves at the free seats, I think 'how honest'
People actually run into the train from a standing start focussed on the seat like a cheetah after a Gazelle, dilated pupils, arched back, flared nostrils, disregarding everyone else. Whats that game called. . 'blow wind blow'?

A brit might secretly want to do that, but they would be too self conscious. . . Instead maybe they just contain their resentment and give a jolly hard stare to the person who got the seat ahead of them.

I would love to see a david attenborough documentary on the discovery channel with pounding music and slow motion footage of an oap and a nine year old focussed on the same seat. . .

Steve Irwin could have done some hilarious spoofs. Real shame.

8:05 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay you're back!!

HAHA. your comment is too funny for words.

6:56 am  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Thanks Nora,
What an ecouraging friend I have never seen before you are. Got a bit of catching up to do on the reading side too. Any entries on your blog that you'd like to recommend?

11:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha...that's what we are trying to explore right now. One of my subject's called Intercultural Communications, taught by an English old man (I strongly believe he's much older than you).
We've been talking about sth like ethnocentrism and all other things that are related to culture difference. Hope to read some more from here...think they are far more intersting than those read from 'scholars'..haha...

11:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not really. just check it out when you have time. just skip the words n look at the pictures.

you'd appreciate 03/10 i think.

5:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home