20.12.05

Sunset from the staffroom

As I fall through my front door after a fifteen hour day, drunk with fatigue, put the goons on my computer, change into my jim jams, look in the fridge for scallops and broccolli, look in the dictionary to check the spelling of broccoli, have a quick session on the porcelin throne, look in the dictionary to check the spelling of porcelain and start to pick the skin off my toes, I realise its time to end this sentence.

Very tired, but thankful to be on the brink of my Christmas holiday. Its time for me to spend a day enjoying the anticipation of the holiday, before it actually starts on Thurday.

Its a real battle not falling asleep whenever I get home. Anything soft in my flat that can support my body weight has been a bed to me and my evenings dissappear regularly that way.

When I come home my speech is slurred, my co-ordination is gone and my face is numb but.. . . .

Part of me is really enjoying the feeling of pushing against something hard, existentially speaking I mean. Its good exercise for the psyche to struggle in your life. When part of you hurts feels, numb or itches you squeeze or rub itright ?! Thats my Hong Kong life! I'm like a bear with an itchy bum, who just found the gnarliest, thorniest old tree in the forest and has just started to work that booty!

I'm considering another two year contract. Do I want two more years? Do I have any choice?


Happy Christmas! I'm OK though. HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually what would happen if you gave your headmistress a resignation letter?

Would she beg you to stay? Offer you a rise? Ask why you were leaving? Or just go and find another foreign teacher?

I gave my boss a heart attack by walking up to her solemnly today with an envelope in my hand wanting to talk to her about other matters - but she thought I had a resignation letter in my hand!

10:42 pm  
Blogger dorcas said...

Hi Neil,

just wanted to wish you a blessed Christmas.. Yup, working in Asia is sort of like that huh. Hope you have a good break over this Christmas and a chance to reflect on the Lord's leading in the New Year ahead. God bless!!!

12:16 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Thanks Dorcas! Are you in regular touch with windy? I'll definitely pass your Christmas wish onto her. You're in the middle of summer in oz rigt now?

Happy Chritmas to you, and to You too dez.

I dnt think my pricipal is the type to beg! She'd ask why, accept it and try to find a replacement. 2 more years sounds a long time. It'd bring the total to 6. If I don't have any other choices, then I'll do it.

2:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First time to leave msg here, juz to say hi and wish you a Happy Merry Christmas!!!!

1:36 am  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

WOW! praise from sarah is some serious credit I recon! so thanks sa!! I agree with you though, there's nothing good about overwork.

I definitely Love/hate Hong Kong! I've almost decided to sign again.

Happy Christmas to the dear commentors for this post: Dez, Dorcas, Carmel, Sa!

12:48 pm  
Blogger Yan said...

Man, you are crazy. I hate being tied down. I would absolutely hate the idea of a 2-year contract. I would only sign it if I could negotiate a 1-month notice period. I like being a free agent. I like knowing I can leave whenever. Maybe that suggests fear of commitment on my part maybe? *shiver*

Do it if it makes you happy. Maybe you're one of those S&M types who actually finds pleasure in pain? Better you than me!

Hope you had a good Christmas, can't wait to see you again!

5:16 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home