1.11.06

Writing-Writing-Writing.
GRAMMAR QUESTION: Do you think this title is a straight noun or an abstract gerund noun, or even the present continuous form of the verb?

If you read it first as a gerund then you might be one of the people who fancy themselves to be 'a writer'. Would you like to be? Do you think you already are? If a writer earns their living from writing then I guess publishing our blogs every week or so doesnt make us writers. That said, there are some bloggers who do write with a bit of craft. PLease look at my links list....especially Nora.

Here's what waits for you if you want to earn a living writing books.
The market for every genre is flooded. The market is a market; if it doesnt appeal to a demographic that buys, then it doesn't get published. You need an agent to match you with a publisher and you will be rejected by many publishers. You can't only write what you enjoy writing - It is the opposite of writing for pleasure. You must be an artisan, untill you earn enough money to be an 'artist'.

I'm 32 now. I'll be 33 soon (suck it up Kalun) and while I spent my twenties writing selfish unsellable chapters now and again and forcing my good friends to read them and say nice things, I'm starting to feel like my eyes are wide open enough to try to write a novel...

So I'm going to seriously try. I want to have good motives. I want to have a realistic approach to it. I'm going to try to take an hour or two a day and force myself to sit in front of my PC and get from the beginning to an end of a novel. I've tried and failed before, but I feel a bit more grown up now than I was in my twenties. Lets see what happens. I'll report back in six months.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw seriously? that's so ... inspiring. (i was trying to think of a better and less used word for it the tv's on full blast)

n can bounce ur ideas offa me if u want. i'll give you honest/nasty amateur critiques. as a design student i advise you to become a caffeine addict, take loads of extensive breaks for 'inspiration' and when you're stuck go for a beer. (that's what i'm taught at art school)

cheers for the holler - i write for pleasure that's why i sound like a writer. it all goes to pot when you "study" something. nah... that was cynical - forget i said that.

God bless you - if you do it for Him He will Definitely BLESS you incredibly. I speak from firsthand experience. God speed ur mind.

luv

nora

5:28 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

neil, i'm in HK this Christmas for nearly 3 weeks. can i stay with you at some point. its about time you showed me some hospital love. (i know its spelt hospitable, but i like hospitals).

1:14 am  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Hen,
You know that you're a welcome guest and L'otel Du Thomasee.

However I have been pre-booked by a party of Three over the Christmas period. Also Mancunians, you might be able to guess who...

Can you give me your exact dates and if there is time when you're here and they're not then you will be my very welcome guest!

3:30 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A party of three? From the West? At Christmas?

Are you doing one better than the Virgin Birth? The first male pregnancy.........

Anyway also wanted to ask you if you won the lottery yesterday. After all things happen in threes right:
1) Arsenal lost to West Ham
2) Spurs beat Chelsea and
3) ?Neil won the lottery?

8:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home