3.12.06

The * Red * Mist

I've posted on this topic before, but lately I've noticed my normal emotional state has become 'slightly angry' and its getting easier and easier for me to see the 'red mist' in all kinds of situations.

I wake up and already feel angry. If the wrong lift comes first in the morning, if the staff in the Lobby open the door too slowly, if anyone cuts me off or walks too slowly on the street, if people leave gaps when they queue for a minibus so that the end of the queue has to trail out further into the street, when the club house staff, where I live, aren't polite, when people block the aisle with their shopping trolley, when people allow their kids to disturb others all send my blood pressure up. . (now its 90 over 140, with a resting pulse of 40 - 50 bpm)

Then there's work, people inventing next day deadlines that didn't exist before, people expecting me to understand Chinese circulars and memo's, having to sit through 4 hour meetings in the evening in Chinese. Working with colleagues who are constantly stressed too (All the staff are in small prayer groups that meet once a week or so and every time my group meets people are in tears) Only having junk food available at work, and then there are some of the mad things the students do . . . and the actual pressure of the work itself.

Then there's the complexity of the offers and deals you have to cope with when trying to buy something as simple as a meal. . . (this is a slight exaggeration)

Assistant: 'If two people buy the tea-set before 12 (without lemon tea)and bring your ID cards and a voucher then both countersign and finish your meal within 45 minutes then for the next 3 visits in October you can have a two percent discount on any dessert that doesn't include chocolate.'

Gwei Lo Thomas: 'Please, I am just a simple Englishman, I just want a cup of coffee.'

Assistant: 'Oh right, you want coffee? will that be a Arabic, Brazillian, Late, ground coffee, fruit coffee , Mocha, iced, espresso, cappucino, filtered, instant, this blend, that blend . . . you know if you buy two coffees before 6pm and drink them on your head while singing 'I'm a little tea-pot', you can get a stamp to stink on your bum, when you get 5 million stamps you will be elligable for a prize draw.'.

Gwei Lo Thomas: 'I see, um. . . ok, then. . . may I have a glass of water please'

Assistant: 'No water, water is free'
Gwei Lo Thomas: 'Oh. . . . umm so do you have water?'
Assistant: 'no water, water is free'
Gwei Lo Thomas: ' So do you have some water, that is free, that you can give to me?'
Assistant: ' Yes, do you want still, sparkling, Spring water, distilled, mineral, flavoured, fortified, Perrier, Hot, warm, cold, very cold, quite warm, hot with a little warm bit near the top, room temperature, body temperature, . . . '

Gwei Lo Thomas: ' . . . . . . ok then. . . . . I'd like a blend of waters drawn from the icey crusts of the moons that orbit Jupiter, filtered through a thousand layers of differnt coloured silks, evaporated and recondensed as snow over the Alps please'

Assistant: ' With ice and lemon?'

Gwei Lo Thomas: ' Gooosfrabaaaahhh.



But I can take it. I won't retire here thats for sure, but I still like the fight at the moment. . . God bless Hong Kong and stop me from losing my rag every day. Amen.


12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:15 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand what's getting your nerves... indeed it makes you crazy to be in this tiny, industrialized place.

I'm sure you've been giving too much of this "nice look" to the assistant. Since I get pissed very easily, and the only way to avoid
this situation is to look pissed right from the beginning; then they'd know they shouldn't bug you anymore. Another thing is, you have to know the right place for a simple coffee. I wonder where did you go?

And for the language thing... I know it's a pain in the ass. Somehow people are not trained to take care of non-Cantonese speakers on a daily basis. But on the other hand I think they also have this pride that, you being a foreigner at our place have to learn our culture and language more than you have expected to do =)

Okay, English teacher, from now on you watch TVB Jade and listen to canton pop while riding on the bus. Need some recommendation?? *giggles*

1:19 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

hey cheryl...
I guess you're right. . . I dont want to come accross as a head-in-the-sand type but after a day full of cantonese at work I think the last thing I want to do is watch Jade and listen to Canto-pop... Did you know I can kind of speak the lingo but not really enough for fluent conversation. . . I'll give your advice some thought...

You know the whinebaker address keeps hijacking my browser! may I link your chry1 page instead?

Happy Christmas to you Cheryl!

8:46 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awww... that's harsh.

don't get cynical now... there're young'uns reading.

here gimme your email address. you SERIOUSLY need some jazz or reggae in your life. they're healing music.

and pls excuse my engineering/designer method of thinking: ie. every problem needs to be fixed. but i think the solution to the problem is making sure you have a solid and quality devotional time b4 work - no matter what time that means you have to get up.

call me naive if you want.

7:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops sorry i just changed it AGAIN so whinebaker thing is out!! I'm so, so sorry......=( whatever I just get tired of my own stuff on a regular basis.

Haha speaking of Canto, I'm not fluent either, lol. It's pretty ridiculous haha native speaker incapable of speaking the language... lol. Just j/k. But I definitely have a deficit in manifesting conversations now =P

8:57 am  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

'deficit in manifesting conversations'! Cheryl, you're english is increadible so your Canto must be beyond amazing?!
I love the street rough quality of cantonese and the language has many more positive emotional connections than putonghua for me. All the people I'm closest to outside my family speak it, but I just start to give a bit of a loose leash to the 'contrary' side of my character. Who's that American Comedian who swears and smokes and hates everything? I think there's a little that bloke whispering in my ear sometimes.
So forgive me for being harsh Nora, I don't mean to be. As the saying goes, 'when in rome, do as the romans do' I'm just fitting in! HK has a hard you might say synical edge that I like. Hope I dont go too far! Have you read what Cheryl writes? She still has a bit of HK mentality I think, not become soft in the land of mickey mouse and apple pie...?

By the way Cheryl I saw your fan/sword dancing. . .wow. And the conversation with the cat. . .hoho.

10:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

remember, i live in glasgow. one of the worst places in europe. i'd say it's as rough as they come... mb not as bad as mainland china.

dunno i'm just unimpressed by cynicism. it's cleverly used to replace truth a lot of the time. it makes ppl seem big about themselves aswell you know? like they know it all. not you; your post was hilarious - i just felt bad for you that's all. but you're alright as long as you can laugh at yourself.

12:50 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aww you saw my stupid dances haha! I actually just did another one tonight, which is Tai Chi but then for some reasons I didn't get a first hand copy of the record... so. I'm not sure whether I can add it to my "youtube portfolio", lol.

my pea brain just isn't quite working well at times so it's like having a down time -- retarded at speaking any languages!! having to switch back and forth between languages sometimes "hacks" my system -- mis-pronunciations, missing verbs, funny grammar -- it just happens all the time in Canto, Mandarin and English (in me)! OMG!!!

yeah but I do like the fanciness of Canto. It's like no other languages (subjectively speaking, tho, cuz I understand only Chinese and English) could exhibit this "variety" and "depth" when describing things.

Is that a metaphor or there is actually a comedian you would like to quote?? Haha... if it's the case, then, I suppose all the comedians are like this... XD

bear in mind, tho, i speak Canto as my first language so there isn't such thing "amazing" just as everyone in HK is presummed to master it without any questions. I should thank God that I don't sound like a retard in any sense... hahahaha

btw thanks for reading my stupid stuff. Haha. it seems that you're the only one who's been intrigued... yet people kinda of rejects it when a page is virtually made up of words !!! haha, whatever! and don't break your glass i suppose it's expensive... hmmm

2:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Play more football.

Sorry - was that too obvious?

;)

Actually I've been feeling the same way, trying not to kill my kids, shout at the headmistress of my college but the football helps. Adrenaline rush. Running to get all the energy out. Dunno what it is but makes me feel better. I wonder what sort of footballs they have in heaven...

Q.T. in the morning is a good idea.

2:01 am  
Blogger Yan said...

We all need Christmas hols!! It's just around the corner. Hang in there, you teachers!!

8:07 pm  
Blogger Mr.Thomas said...

Thankyou dear friends. You're all right that we need to release our stress and ground ourselves in a good regular QT. I just havent had enough time for any of that for ages it seems. As I write I'm quietly boiling at a bunch of stuff that is going on. . . just refereed a school footie tournament in the rain, (feeling sick) had to give a tough pen and face down various players who took issue.. Now come in sodden wet, heaps of people screaming at me to do this and that. . . all after not enough sleep and deadlines left right and centre. working 13 hours a day everyday, no time for gym, or even food sometimes. . . no healthy food available in school either.. . oh man. . .. I'll be OK soon. Yan is right.. But I'll have guests with me over Christmas. . . been close to my limit for ages. . . but havent found it yet. Please pray for grace for me!!! Thanks...

1:31 pm  
Blogger Nora said...

wow mr T. you need a rest nigga...

"Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." - [Lamentations 3:21]

"He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.

Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men ;) stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
- [isaiah 40:29-31]

7:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home